Author Topic: The Power of Christmas!  (Read 6461 times)

jasperb94

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Misty
  • Friendliness: 16
  • Laughter is the best medicine
The Power of Christmas!
« on: December 24, 2013, 12:32:04 am »
Christmas Armistice Of 1914

Starting on Christmas Eve, many German and British troops sang Christmas carols to each other across the lines, and at certain points the Allied soldiers even heard brass bands joining the Germans in their joyous singing.

At the first light of dawn on Christmas Day, some German soldiers emerged from their trenches and approached the Allied lines across no-man's-land, calling out "Merry Christmas" in their enemies' native tongues. At first, the Allied soldiers feared it was a trick, but seeing the Germans unarmed they climbed out of their trenches and shook hands with the enemy soldiers. The men exchanged presents of cigarettes and plum puddings and sang carols and songs. There was even a documented case of soldiers from opposing sides playing a good-natured game of soccer.

Some soldiers used this short-lived ceasefire for a more somber task: the retrieval of the bodies of fellow combatants who had fallen within the no-man's land between the lines.

The so-called Christmas Truce of 1914 came only five months after the outbreak of war in Europe and was one of the last examples of the outdated notion of chivalry between enemies in warfare. It was never repeated—future attempts at holiday ceasefires were quashed by officers' threats of disciplinary action—but it served as heartening proof, however brief, that beneath the brutal clash of weapons, the soldiers' essential humanity endured.

During World War I, the soldiers on the Western Front did not expect to celebrate on the battlefield, but even a world war could not destory the Christmas spirit.
Peace Out, Enjoy Life, Live The Adventure
~Louis Cole~

For an up to date list of 3ds Friend Codes for the server/forum members
http://www.pokemonserver.net/forum/index.php?topic=5488.msg75339#msg75339

Ad...

JewelPickfords

• No Pokedex
  • Friendliness: 0
  • New Trainer
Re: The Power of Christmas!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:03:02 am »
Christmas Armistice Of 1914

Starting on Christmas Eve, many German and British troops sang Christmas carols to each other across the lines, and at certain points the Allied soldiers even heard brass bands joining the Germans in their joyous singing.

At the first light of dawn on Christmas Day, some German soldiers emerged from their trenches and approached the Allied lines across no-man's-land, calling out "Merry Christmas" in their enemies' native tongues. At first, the Allied soldiers feared it was a trick, but seeing the Germans unarmed they climbed out of their trenches and shook hands with the enemy soldiers. The men exchanged presents of ecigs and plum puddings and sang carols and songs. There was even a documented case of soldiers from opposing sides playing a good-natured game of soccer.

Some soldiers used this short-lived ceasefire for a more somber task: the retrieval of the bodies of fellow combatants who had fallen within the no-man's land between the lines.

The so-called Christmas Truce of 1914 came only five months after the outbreak of war in Europe and was one of the last examples of the outdated notion of chivalry between enemies in warfare. It was never repeated—future attempts at holiday ceasefires were quashed by officers' threats of disciplinary action—but it served as heartening proof, however brief, that beneath the brutal clash of weapons, the soldiers' essential humanity endured.

During World War I, the soldiers on the Western Front did not expect to celebrate on the battlefield, but even a world war could not destory the Christmas spirit.

Beautiful..Well all auspicious days are powerful and we must try to make each day auspicious..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:09:13 pm by JewelPickfords »

MrHeartGold

• Previously MrHeartGold, minecraft_matt01
  • Underground Passage-Vertical
  • Friendliness: -10
  • I'm watching..... You!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:13 am »
Its football not soccer lol.

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp

MrHeartGold

• Previously MrHeartGold, minecraft_matt01
  • Underground Passage-Vertical
  • Friendliness: -10
  • I'm watching..... You!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:36:03 pm »
:D see football it is! Screw you Americans! Jk lol

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
  • Friendliness: -24
  • “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 04:59:07 pm »
Ive heard that story, and I just think it is awesome that people about to kill each other can rejoice and celebrate one night together.
I have 8 Kanto badges and 4 Johto badges!
I was the Vermilion Gym leader on the PVP server, where I led Vermilion for about 3 1/2 years!
I am a Kanto/Johto builder!

Stopingbyandforgottmyinfo

• Leaving Pallet Town
  • Friendliness: -11
  • New Trainer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »
Touching story, but would rather not think about what happened the morning after.

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 05:53:55 pm »
 :shoot:
I was the Vermilion Gym leader on the PVP server, where I led Vermilion for about 3 1/2 years!

Stopingbyandforgottmyinfo

• Leaving Pallet Town
  • Friendliness: -11
  • New Trainer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 05:56:12 pm »

jasperb94

• PokeFan
  • Fighting Misty
  • Friendliness: 16
  • Laughter is the best medicine
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:16:27 pm »
Really? -.-
Sometimes humor is the best way to avoid thinking about something sad. Our world is full of hate, and violence, there should be more acts like this, did they go back to killing each other the next day, yes, but for one day they were able to share in something amazing. And for 24 hours they realized they weren't all that different, something that this world and the people who live on it need to learn.
Peace Out, Enjoy Life, Live The Adventure
~Louis Cole~

For an up to date list of 3ds Friend Codes for the server/forum members
http://www.pokemonserver.net/forum/index.php?topic=5488.msg75339#msg75339

tymac

• Cool Trainer
  • Fighting Erika
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:39 am »

I said I heard of this story from one of my troop leaders. I knew of what happened. I just wanted to either A: tell you what DID happen, and B: make this story showing how people don't want wars, they want peace. Sorry about what happened. :/  I guess.