Author Topic: Disappointing Pokemon League.  (Read 7089 times)

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
Disappointing Pokemon League.
« on: October 19, 2013, 12:20:40 pm »

Beware of Spoilers

I finished Pokemon Y yesterday and I have a couple of thoughts to share.
A+ Game - Great selection of Pokemon with a good storyline and gameplay has been improved to a standard I never expected.

HOWEVER
I have one criticism - The Pokemon League. (Ranging from Victory Road to the Hall of Fame)
There were aspects of the Pokemon League which I enjoyed such as the diversity of Victory Road which went inside and outside making the experience much more interesting.

Though I can't say that the League was that good. First of all, every Elite now has only 4 Pokemon, I thought 'Oh well, they must just be a lot tougher'. NOPE. I took on all four Elites and it seemed like as long as I had a Pokemon who was super-effective against their type, I was set. I used one item in my elite run and it was a Revival Herb. For a while i've wanted the Elites to have a team of 6 Pokemon because it always felt weird that they had one less than the norm. And then they got rid of another Pokemon each.

Secondly, The Champion. I can't describe how infuriated I was when I didn't see Serena, AZ or Lysandre in the Champion Arena - Instead I saw this bitch I met once who dressed up for Halloween too early. WHY DIANTHA? Eugh, it makes me shiver. I remember the feeling I had when I discovered Green had bested me in becoming the Champion, the adrenaline you get from that moment fuels your victory in that battle. But when I saw Diantha I felt incredible disappointment. Nothing like the feeling I would have gotten from seeing Lysandre or Serena.

And that brings me on to my final point.
Lastly, Why does Serena's defeat have to be so sad? Throughout the game you are racing her to grab the title of the greatest Pokemon Trainer and then right in the very middle of Victory Road, she challenges you. Which reminds me of my final battle with Green before he stole my Champion spot in Fire Red. When you beat Serena she has that unbearable look of sadness which makes you feel guilty every time you beat her, but even worse - She turns around. One battle changes your best friends mind, and then she runs away from her ultimate goal. IT'S HORRIBLE. This for me was just as sad as the final scene with AZ.

I hate to be such a bummer about this game and in my eyes it still gets a 9.5/10
But I just feel that the Pokemon League is the ultimate goal, and to have it be this disappointing is unfortunate.

Ad...

ZobTheSlayer

• Farewell SS Anne
  • Friendliness: -58
  • My dislikes are my likes. My likes are my dislikes
Re: Disappointing Pokemon League.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
It was quite easy, but maybe they had to make it easy so that when you do it again, they could buff up their Pokemon a lot more.

~Ali~

• Aussie
  • Surfing south to SeaFoam
  • Friendliness: 77
  • Always watching over.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 08:55:29 pm »
I agree with you, the elite four and champion were below par there. I guess Pokemon The Origin psyched me up too much.

Memories, something a person will have forever.
ProfileYouTubeRedditPokeCommunityBlog

hobo4chompy

• Fighting Your Rival
  • Friendliness: 1
  • The Lemon Law Its A Real Thing
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:26:05 pm »
Man, My blaziken is leveling up to fast T_T

i havent vs'd the elite 4 yet but from what your saying i guess it wont be much of a challenge

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:47:45 am »
It was quite easy, but maybe they had to make it easy so that when you do it again, they could buff up their Pokemon a lot more.

Except the elite don't get stronger in rematches.

My pokemon were in the 70-75 range when I first did the elite, and I found most of it relatively easy except for the water one because none of my pokemon were any good against water. Had to resort to my HM slave against that one.

Beware of Spoilers

I finished Pokemon Y yesterday and I have a couple of thoughts to share.
A+ Game - Great selection of Pokemon with a good storyline and gameplay has been improved to a standard I never expected.

HOWEVER
I have one criticism - The Pokemon League. (Ranging from Victory Road to the Hall of Fame)
There were aspects of the Pokemon League which I enjoyed such as the diversity of Victory Road which went inside and outside making the experience much more interesting.

Though I can't say that the League was that good. First of all, every Elite now has only 4 Pokemon, I thought 'Oh well, they must just be a lot tougher'. NOPE. I took on all four Elites and it seemed like as long as I had a Pokemon who was super-effective against their type, I was set. I used one item in my elite run and it was a Revival Herb. For a while i've wanted the Elites to have a team of 6 Pokemon because it always felt weird that they had one less than the norm. And then they got rid of another Pokemon each.

Secondly, The Champion. I can't describe how infuriated I was when I didn't see Serena, AZ or Lysandre in the Champion Arena - Instead I saw this bitch I met once who dressed up for Halloween too early. WHY DIANTHA? Eugh, it makes me shiver. I remember the feeling I had when I discovered Green had bested me in becoming the Champion, the adrenaline you get from that moment fuels your victory in that battle. But when I saw Diantha I felt incredible disappointment. Nothing like the feeling I would have gotten from seeing Lysandre or Serena.

And that brings me on to my final point.
Lastly, Why does Serena's defeat have to be so sad? Throughout the game you are racing her to grab the title of the greatest Pokemon Trainer and then right in the very middle of Victory Road, she challenges you. Which reminds me of my final battle with Green before he stole my Champion spot in Fire Red. When you beat Serena she has that unbearable look of sadness which makes you feel guilty every time you beat her, but even worse - She turns around. One battle changes your best friends mind, and then she runs away from her ultimate goal. IT'S HORRIBLE. This for me was just as sad as the final scene with AZ.

I hate to be such a bummer about this game and in my eyes it still gets a 9.5/10
But I just feel that the Pokemon League is the ultimate goal, and to have it be this disappointing is unfortunate.

Well, one of the main themes of X&Y is the bonding with other trainers and your pokemon. Thats why theres Amie, thats why you have more friends in the game, and why they give you the pokemon instead. I think its good your felt bad about crushing your friend's dream, teach you not to be so soft.

My only issue is the elite don't get stronger again, thats one thing was so good about previous games.

ArchieSalt

• Professor Assistant
  • Spelunking in Seafoam Islands
  • Friendliness: 25
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:02:02 am »
Yeah, and I just find myself with very little to do post-game. It's a shame and hopefully they can improve on this in the next game or in DLC :/

Sahaquiel_9

• Entering Lavender Town
  • Friendliness: -23
  • Lakweesha Muthafuckinisha Jones
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:31:59 am »
My friend noted that there was a train station with a misssing train.  Maybe with the DLC you get another train that takes you to the other regions.
Former Viridian and Celadon City leader

Come on, Satan! Let's get sickening!

Tenebrae

• Sinnoh/Unova Head Builder
  • Professor
  • Fighting Agatha
  • Friendliness: 105
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate :D
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 10:43:27 am »
My friend noted that there was a train station with a misssing train.  Maybe with the DLC you get another train that takes you to the other regions.

What station?

Sahaquiel_9

• Entering Lavender Town
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:25 am »
Coumarine city.  The one with the monorail.

Sweaty

• Penis
  • Dragon Tamer
  • Raiding TeamRocket in Celadon
  • Friendliness: -18
  • HELP I'VE GOTTEN TOO INTO ANIME AND I'M GROSS
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »
My friend noted that there was a train station with a missing train.  Maybe with the DLC you get another train that takes you to the other regions.
By the time that releases, I can imagine most people have level 90's through 100's by that time. I don't really see how fin it will be to kill all the other region pokemon :/

Barnitzn

• Exploring Rock Tunnel
  • Friendliness: 3
  • Back again bitches!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
I was also highly annoyed in the elite 4, I beat everyone in the elite 4 using just Yveltal who was only around level 55, and the fact that they had only 3 legends bothered me.

There was a few other things about the game that i found annoying, which was the lack of legends. Every other game has a decent amount of legends for you to find and catch, then in X and Y there are only 4, and those 4 were the easiest legends i have ever caught. The other reason is the lack of challengers you can fight after you beat the elite 4, you can re-fight the elite 4 again, but they are only around lv 63, so they are not that useful for training, and I fought almost every trainer in the region, making training a lot more difficult.

Every other game as challenges after you beat the game like having the islands in firered/leafgreen, gold and silver gave you kanto to beat after johto, ruby saphire and emerald had the battle frontier to beat, diamond pearl and platinum had the area in the north with all the new strong trainers you could beat, and black and white had the whole right side of the map that you could explore and fight people in, but X and Y seemed to lack anything that you could do after you beat the game.

-EX CIANWOOD CITY GYM LEADER
-EX 4th JOHTO ELITE
-EX JOHTO CHAMPION!!!
-EX OLIVINE LEADER
-EX ERUTEAK LEADER
-EX VIRIDIAN LEADER

Anonymouslyanon

• Hoenn Head Builder, Official House Auditor
  • Cerulean Leader
  • Cycling Road
  • Friendliness: 24
  • Lather, rinse, maim.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 02:28:11 pm »
ruby saphire and emerald had the battle frontier to beat
but who even tried to beat the battle frontier

Sahaquiel_9

• Entering Lavender Town
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »
The people that EV trained  :rotf:

Okieskinny

• PokeFan
  • Cycling Road
  • Friendliness: 16
  • ◕ ‿ ◕ Always Watching
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 03:40:35 pm »
The battle frontier didn't require EV training, it just required tons of hours worth of nothing but grinding the frontier brains, EV training did help of course.

Barnitzn

• Exploring Rock Tunnel
  • Friendliness: 3
  • Back again bitches!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »
I was just showing the point that the new games don't have much to do after you beat the elite four
-EX CIANWOOD CITY GYM LEADER
-EX 4th JOHTO ELITE
-EX JOHTO CHAMPION!!!
-EX OLIVINE LEADER
-EX ERUTEAK LEADER
-EX VIRIDIAN LEADER